What Kind of Auto Insurance is Recommended?

My clients frequently ask me about auto insurance
and what type of coverage I recommend. Your auto insurance policy is made up of multiple
components. Let me discuss several aspects and make a
couple suggestions. When you first meet with your auto insurance
agent, the first discussion is usually regarding liability coverage. Liability coverage is the part of your policy
that protects you when you cause damages to another person. Under Oregon law, your liability coverage
for injury must be at least $25,000 per person. I strongly recommend that you have at least
$100,000 coverage per person and, if possible, even higher. Imagine somebody with a serious injury, requiring
surgery and hospitalization. In that situation, the medical bills alone
could easily exceed $100,000. An often overlooked part of your insurance
coverage is the coverage for uninsured or under insured motorist claims. Uninsured coverage will protect you when you’re
injured due to the fault of an uninsured driver, even though Oregon law requires all vehicles
to carry insurance, it’s estimated that approximately 6% of the vehicles on Oregon roads are currently
uninsured. Under insured coverage will protect you when
the at-fault driver does have some insurance but their liability limits are inadequate
to fully compensate you for your losses. As with liability coverage, I strongly recommend
that all drivers carry at least $100,000 in uninsured and under insured coverage. In fact, it would be preferable if you carried
limits of $250,000 to $500,000. If you have any questions regarding these
issues, please feel free to contact us. There’s never any charge for the consultation.

Leave a Reply